Thursday, July 30, 2026

In Control of the Hole

I was out walking the dog by the side of the house and looked again at the hole punched in the siding when a tree fell in a recent windstorm. Again, I marveled that a hole six inches or less in diameter could create such a giant disparity in estimated repair costs between my insurance and the contractor… a disparity that extends to tens of thousands of dollars. Obviously, there is so much I can’t control about the situation.. from knowledge about the materials used to repair the damage and their actual availability…to the contractor’s motive in presenting the estimate he did… to the reputed stinginess of the insurance company in accepting, denying, or modifying the claim. It is truly a blessed relief to be able to put the entire situation in God’s hands and to resolve to be happy with whatever outcome He comes up with, knowing that it will work to my good, as He promised. 

As I walked by and looked up at the damage, a little bird suddenly poked its head out of the hole, hopped out, and flew away! I saw that it was a wren and remembered that the male of the species is always on the lookout for holes in trees or structures in which to build one of many “starter” nests for his mate to choose from and finish herself before incubating eggs. It made me smile to think that the wren found this hole in my house to perhaps be a suitable one for his! 

But there was more to it than just a feel-good moment… perhaps a message from God that He’s in charge of the situation and on the job, despite the length of time it is taking to get the work done. The line from a well-known hymn resonated in my mind: “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.” 

Funny that when my eye landed on that bird, I would “be still and know” that He knows all about my situation and has it all under control. 

“He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I wil be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’” 

(Psalm 46:10 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! I appreciate your time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...