Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Choosing the Cat over the Coffee

 

Wednesdays start off a little differently than the other days of the week. I take a weekly medication on that day, first thing in the morning, and I’m supposed to let it “percolate” in my system for those first 30-60 minutes of the day before eating, drinking or letting anything else pass between my lips.

It’s the coffee I miss… that first morning mug of java, hot and fresh, a delight to my body physically while feeding my soul spiritually during my regular devotional time. I find myself watching the clock to see when I can hit the button on my Keurig and let its life-giving, mood-lifting juices flow!

But sometimes it happens that the pets have cuddled close to me on the bed during that waiting period, and when “go time” arrives, I’m loathe to disturb them just to get up and get the caffeine I crave. It’s not the dog so much, who sleeps to the right of me as I sit propped up against the headboard of my bed, my books scattered around me. It’s the cat who sleeps in blissful repose either tight along my left leg or (as now), sprawled across my lap.

Sometimes I simply choose the cat over my coffee. As desperately as I crave the latter, even more do I love the former… the feline who chooses to spend tie with me as I do the same with God. In a myriad of ways today, we’re all grateful once again for the gift of choice!

“This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him….” (Deuteronomy 30:19-20 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! I appreciate your time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...