Thursday, May 9, 2024

Vibrant Leaves and Living

Recently I heard someone describe the brevity of life by likening our existence on earth to that of a leaf headed for October. Such a powerful thought, albeit a little depressing.

But that is the mindset of many of us as we enter our latter years and feel that our lives are largely over. Author Ilchi Lee seeks to change that way of thinking by encouraging us all to find purpose for our lives past the age of 60, instead of just waiting around to die, as common thought offers as our only option. In reading his book I’ve Decided to Live 120 Years this morning, I came across his discussion of the life of Hanabuchi Keiko, a retired English teacher at a Japanese school, who now teaches classes on aging well and with purpose. She talked about the beauty of autumn leaves and suggests that their vibrant color comes from their sacrifice; they die, so that the tree may reserve its energy for the harsh winter months ahead. And likewise, what makes for a beautiful old age is to live for more than just one’s own well-being alone, but focusing on making things better for those who come after us with the time we have left, instead.

I’ll admit that turning 60 and considering the retirement years ahead of me with something other than dread and fear was initially a challenge for me. While I don’t put much stock in everything in his writing, Ilchi Lee’s book was valuable to me because it encouraged me to make a decision to live with purpose and gratitude in the days, weeks, months and years ahead, however many of them there may be. My resultant change in outlook and mindset have likely been responsible for the joy I have found in “life after 60” to date.

I’m grateful.

“Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12 NIV)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! I appreciate your time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...