Monday, May 6, 2024

Worry is Weighty

 

(Unsplash/Salvador Rios)
My evening devotional said it best… suggesting that my life is littered with problems and worries like pebbles and shells that are left on the wet sand of the beach as the tide recedes into the sea. The start of my day is like a morning walk along the shore, in which I am attracted to the shiny stones and fragmented formations of calcium that glitter and sparkle in the morning sun. It is almost impossible not to collect and carry some as I go along. And then my day becomes burdened by the weights I have stuffed into the pockets of my day, in the same way that Max Lucado tells of his grandson stuffing so many collected rocks in his pockets that his pants fell down under the weight and hindered his feet from moving forward! What an illustration!

God wants us to empty our minds of the problems that weigh us down… to raise our gaze from the stones and shells to see instead the sea of mercy and grace, washing over them in its daily return. Let’s set our eyes on the incoming waves of His Presence when we walk with Him of a morning… and lose just what’s in our pockets, not our pants.

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts! I appreciate your time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...